Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Where do we go from here?

LONow that we are halfway through the semester and we have read through quite a few plays, it is time to slow down a bit and think about where things are going.  Since we are no longer reading a play every week, I will have more time to reread some of the plays and go more in depth with a textual analysis and applying literary criticisms.
I will also start doing more research into Shakespeare and Germany.  I don't really know where I'm going with this, but there are quite a few resources out there, almost as many as there are in English.

Hamlet in English and German


1. Deutsche Shakespeare Gesellschaft -- The German Shakesepeare Society is the oldest Shakespeare society in the world, founded in 1864.  They hold conferences and publish articles.  This could be a great resource not only for Shakespeare within Germany, but for Shakespeare in general.  (Their webpage is also translated into English, for those of you who don't speak German)



Ken Larson
2. Ken Larson --Ken Larson is a professor of German at Wells College in Aurora, NY.  He has written some papers on Shakespeare's reception in Germany.  Once I get a better idea what specifically I want to study about Shakespeare in Germany, I may contact him and ask a few questions, see what he has already researched and what further resources he knows.




Not a pretty cover, but I'll read it
3.There is a book I found that I would like to get my hands on and see if I find it interesting.  The Nazi Appropriation of Shakespeare: Cultural Politics in the Third Reich.  I know that Hitler and the Nazis used Richard Wagner and Norse mythology to buoy up their ideals of the Aryan Nation and the Teutonic ideal, but I had no clue that they used Shakespeare as well.  I have read several articles written about The Merchant of Venice as it has been performed in Germany, with it's portrayal of Jews.





This is a start.  As I do some more cursory research into the topics of Shakespeare and Germany I will form a more clear idea of what specific topic I would like to pursue.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments?