Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Shakespearean Sonnets about Shakespeare

I used to write a lot of Shakespearean sonnets in high school. I really enjoy the structure of the format, for me it is the challenge of trying to say what I want, but in such a way the it fits the rhyme scheme and the meter.  Then I found it fun, and sort of metaphysical, to write Shakespearean sonnets with the text of Shakespeare's plays as the basis.


Macbeth's Lament

O Dagger that I see before my face,
Let fall the blade and pierce my guilty soul
I was not happy with my lowly place,
Instead the kingship was my lofty goal.
The witches gave ambition hope to try,
Yet planted they suspicion in my mind.
"Macbeth thou shalt be king hereafter, aye,
But Banquo's sons the crown in turn shall find"
It drove me mad, the guilt and the mistrust,
I ordered my best friend, Banquo, be killed.
But now I beg my swords to gather rust,
That no more blood on my poor hands be spilled.
And thus it was that pride did damn my soul
To hell, but raised my head upon a pole.



Othello's Lament


I, stranger to this city and its ways,
Found friends and comrades 'mong its  mighty men,
They took me in, allowing me to stay,
Though never quite accepting me as kin.
Iago was an honest, trusted man,
A counselor to me, he spoke the truth,
He watched my back, and told me of the plan,
He found my wife cavorting with a youth.
My jealousy was waked, how dare she make
A fool of me, Venetian woman, she.
I went to her, and though my heart did ache,
I ended her life, gentle as could be.
But trusting men more than I did my wife
I made the worst mistake of my whole life.




Iago's Lament


They say that I'm a villain and they're right,
I have my own agenda and I will,
For all my own intents and reasons fight,
Until I have my purposes fulfilled.
The Moor gave 'way the rank that  I desired,
The green-eyed monster crawled inside my head,
I was bitten with the jealous angry fire,
And did not stop until they all were dead.
I planted lies and rumors in his way,
And he was eager to believe them all.
Convinced his wife was faithless, night and day,
He brought about his own tragic downfall.
And had my wife not told them all my plans,
I might have won and been my perfect man.



I am also working on a Hamlet's Lament.  I think the tragedies just lend themselves well to character analysis. I think they're fun.