Sunday, January 9, 2011

Learning Outcomes

One of the main reasons I am starting this blog is because I am in a Shakespeare class at BYU. As part of this class we have been asked to start a research blog about Shakespeare, to help us achieve the learning outcomes of the course.

1. Gain "Shakespeare Literacy" - Gain a breadth and depth of Shakespeare's works by reading plays that I haven't before as well as studying one play more in depth. Plays that I want to read: Richard III, King Lear, Twelfth Night (which I haven't read yet), the Henriad. I also want to watch some vintage movie productions of Shakespeare, some Olivier, some Branagh, some other classics as well.

2. Analyze Shakespeare Critically - That's where this blog comes in. I will write as I read and analyze these plays and movies. I have a background in theatre as a technical director, so I will mostly focus on the technical elements, looking at how I would stage these plays if I were given the opportunity as well as analyzing the movies with these elements in mind.

3. Engage Shakespeare Creatively - I have a few ideas about how I will be creative with Shakespeare's works, including a monologue that I am working on based off of Richard III's opening speech, as well as some Shakespearean sonnets that I have written based on Shakespeare's plays. I will post anything I write here, of course.

4. Share Shakespeare Meaningfully - And that is again where this blog comes in. I will write and share my thoughts, discoveries, research as I read and study these plays and I invite commentary and discussion. I am a big fan of collective knowledge and learning through the communal conversation.

I am excited for this course, for this opportunity to explore and engage with Shakespeare and to join the scholarly and academic community. This should be fun. Let's see what happens!